Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Stew Can Stand on its Own Feet

It's only been a week or two and I'm already ruining the title of my last post. 
So sue me.
  It's that time of year when I want to cook warm, hearty meals with rich, yummy sauces and such.  It's also the time of year when Jim always goes on an exercise/diet binge because he's tired of being cooped up inside, and the two don't always go together well.  -Sigh-  So one of my favorite winter staples is Crockpot Beef Stew.  Growing up this was one of my favorite dishes my mom made, so after I got married I dug through her recipe box, found the recipe, and have been making it ever since.  Then a year or two ago she was over for dinner and I was serving it and she was like, "Wow, this is good stew.  Where did you get the recipe?"  "Uh, you.  You know, the same stew you've been making for the last 30 years?"  "No it's not."  "Yes it is.  I got it out of your recipe box."  After comparing ingredients we established that no, it is in fact NOT the same stew she makes.  She must have had another recipe stashed in there and I grabbed the wrong one.  At any rate, I'm glad I did because it's easy and delish. 

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I know, not the best picture.  I have a point-and-shoot,
no photography skills, and I didn't remember to take a picture
until I was halfway through my bowl.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
     Crockpot Beef Stew
  • 2 lbs. beef cubes 
  • 4-6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 4-6 carrots, peeled and chopped 
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup 
  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 2 bay leaves 
  • 1 pkg. onion soup mix
  • 2 c. water
  • salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in crockpot.  

Cook on low 8-10 hours.  
Remove bay leaves before serving.*
*The bay leaves in my spice rack are crushed,
so I've never taken them out and it's been just dandy.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 

And because I'm physically incapable of thinking of stew
without also mentioning this, here you go:

Adam: Smells good enough to eat.
Milly: Tastes good too, so they tell me.
Adam: Got any ketchup handy?
Milly: My stew can stand on its own feet.

1 comment:

Marci said...

I'm making it tonight.